We had to put this definition here since too few people nowadays know what a martyr really is. Especially since lately a destorted view of what a martyr really is, is now being show to the world as a martyr.
definition of a mar·tyr:
- a person who is killed or who suffers greatly for a religion, cause, etc.
- a person who (voluntarily) suffers death as the penalty of witnessing to and refusing to renounce his/her religion
- a person who sacrifices something of great value and especially his/her life itself for the sake of principle
the example of a real martyr:
- Acts 7:58-60: After throwing him outside the city, they began stoning him. The witnesses laid down their outer garments at the feet of a young man called Saul. 59 As they were stoning Stephen, he made this appeal: “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then, kneeling down, he cried out with a strong voice: “God do not charge this sin against them.” And after saying this, he fell asleep in death.
a Martyr is NOT:
- a person who kills others or makes others suffer greatly for his religion (this person is maniac)
- a person who volantarily blows himself up, to punish others for refusing to renonce their religion (this person is a terrorist)
- a person who sacrifices something of great value, which does not belong to him, for the sake of his religion, so that he can get what he wants (this person is psycopath)